ACCREDITATION AND EXPERIENCE
After Dr Geldenhuys completed his internship in 1991 he spent some time working in the UK as Senior House Officer, before returning to South Africa and taking up the post of Registrar in General Surgery (1995) and subsequently Plastic Surgery (1999) at the University of Cape Town.
He was appointed as Senior Consultant Plastic Surgeon at Groote Schuur Hospital in Cape Town in 2003. He left this position in April 2006 to concentrate on his private practice but maintains an interest as a part-time consultant in registrar training of reconstructive techniques and cosmetic surgery.
Following Dr Geldenhuys' acceptance as a fellow of the Association of Plastic Surgeons of South Africa in 2003, he has been in private practice, involved principally in cosmetic surgery.
Dr Geldenhuys' special interests include:
- Breast surgery: breast augmentations, breast lifts, breast reductions and breast reconstruction
- Gynaecomastia Surgery
- Facial rejuvenation: facelifts, eyelid surgery, structural fat grafting and skin treatments
- Rhinoplasty and nasal reconstruction.
- Otoplasty/Prominent Ear Correction
Dr Geldenhuys is:
- A Full Member of APRSSA - The Association of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons of South Africa
- A full member of ISAPS - International Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
- Registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa as a Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon
- A Fellow of the College of Surgeons of South Africa
- Registered as a Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon with the South African Medical Association
- A member of the General Medical Council in the United Kingdom
Caring for his patients
Dr Geldenhuys' philosophy centers on personal care.
Compassion for his patients and the value of attentive communication have been an integral part of Dr Geldenhuys' approach from his first days of internship at Groote Schuur and Red Cross Children's Hospitals in Cape Town.
It is his belief that effective communication is the basis for a successful outcome.
"It is vital for a plastic surgeon to ensure that they understand specifically, their patients' needs, concerns and expectations. This is particularly relevant as patients and their surgeon may have a different sense of what is aesthetically pleasing. During the preoperative consultation 'scientifically', surgically feasible options are determined and common ground reached as to the final aesthetic outcome."
Dr Geldenhuys' approach to surgery
"The professional has no choice but to be a student forever" (Dr B Cornette de Saint Cyr, Paris).
Dr Geldenhuys makes it a priority to keep abreast of trends and advances in his field and regularly attends local and international conferences.
He employs conventional techniques that deliver predictable and natural results. He believes it is the subtle modifications of each technique, particular to each individual, which optimize the outcome.